Originally Posted by shellymos
And like the oposite of your story, ironically before having DS we moved to a neighborhood we liked that was in an average district. It wasn't in one of the upperclass areas all around us with better schools and more gifted kids. We debated, but I figured we would have an average kid and he doesn't need to be in the best of the best schools (there were other reasons too). But then we ended up with a child like ours. Kind of funny how things work. But I am still glad we aren't in one of the other districts because I doubt they would make the accomodations that our school district is. They would most likely just give him a little enrichment.

Irony is part of my life. One of the mothers on this board works in the school district we live in and her daughter goes to the school our child would go to if we chose that route. I think you hit it on the nose with the school districts that are praised districts thinking they have seen it all and not really bending beyond what they have already established. After talking with the other mother I am more certain that the school will not do much for my DD. If you have a child in the MG+ bracket than the school seems to be a great fit but any child over that bracket is not really getting the attention they need. I suspect if we lived in Austin ISD or a smaller town in the surrounding areas they would be more willing to work with the parents and children. I really don't know if I want to take a chance at this point especially since DD is happy and thriving at her school. And who is to say that will continue. I suspect that right now her challenge is the foreign language but she is quickly picking it up. If and when she is at a point that the material is too easy we will talk to the school about moving her up which they are willing to do ... another sign that we found a great school. But through discovering this term gifted and reading the posts here I am the first to admit that what works today might be the worst thing in the future so I certainly will never say never. I will say that right now we seem to have found a great fit for DD and am crossing my fingers that we will be able to keep her in that school through 5th grade since research shows kids learning a foreign language retain it and their fluency if they are active in it through 5th grade.