Interesting thread. We went back and forth on schooling before DS5 started school this year. Everyone had told us that public school would never work for him since he is a PG kid (and add to that an extroverted PG kid who acts out when he is not challenged). So...we didn't want him to get a label in Public school and weren't sure if they could meet his needs etc. Financially we didn't feel that private was an option, and even if it were we felt that they still wouldn't be able to accomodate him as our state doesn't have gifted mandates or anything. Sooo...we decided to enroll him in public school with much trepidation. The school allowed him to skip K and start first (actually they recommended it). They are differentiating for him for most everything and it is going pretty well and he enjoys school. We decided to put some extra money into things to have at home that are more enriching and also extracurricular activities. We would have had no money for things like that if he was in a private school. We go to museums often, he will be starting piano lessons soon as he really enjoys the piano, Tee ball, and does some other academic based activities and classes when they are available in the community. I figured for less than half the tuition of private school I could get him things for home that would be able to challenge him. So far so good. We may have to change things up in the future. Sometimes I joke about packing up and moving to Reno or another place with HG schools, but it really wouldn't work well for us at this point.