I read the recent threads, not realizing this topic was age specific to elementary aged students. I�ll still share our current situation. My son is in middle/high school and daughter is a sophomore.
Yesterday was usual, but I spent almost seven hours behind the wheel and sat at a desk at my workplace for approximately five hours in between. The morning drop-off is two hours (there and back) every day, while the evening pickup is three hours minimum. Recently, activities have really picked up, so now it is usually it is longer. Yesterday, my daughter had music practice after school until 5:30pm, so I drove past her school to pick up ds at 4:30 after his water polo practice. We then had to make our way back to her school through detoured rush hour traffic. Next, we drove back the other way again to pick up dh from the airport, arriving home close to 8:00pm.
I work part time at my job, meaning I don�t go to work everyday, so there is the sacrifice from a second income. I also feel that I have had to give up a career focus to arrange the best school situation. My fulltime occupation is to facilitate their best education. In our case, the best solutions are these distant schools with many �experts from the field� (especially at ds�s) who provide incredibly instruction and one stop shopping! DD�s school is expensive by our middle income standards and ds�s school tuition plus various additional fees would be out of reach without financial aid.
We do believe it is all worth it, but we are tired.