First of all, I think it's great that they were willing to try him in Self contained GT. I'd rather see him go to the 6th grade self contained GT or repeat 7th grade GT next year, after doing the best he can to catch up this year, and him 'do what he can' in his current setting, knowing that he has finally found a style of teaching that appeals to him, and that his strengths are finally going to be accomidated.

I would let the teacher grade him anyway they need to, but perhaps not show him the grades, only the comments about what is his next step that he can improve. Sort of like taking classes on a 'pass/fail' basis. He is a truely special needs kid, and you have to look at each part of the school system as a 'how could I use this piece' and peg it together. Think of the G/T classroom as his 'least restrictive' environment.

Now if he stop working becuase he knows that he's taking it pass/fail, then you have to move him back. But I don't think he's going to want to go back if he can help it.

Getting accomidations for the APD is going to be important, and hiring someone may be well worth your time. Working memory has lots of aspects to it - your goal is to find out under what conditions he has most use of it, and to strengthen it.

My WM is 'average' which creates a bottleneck for me. I compensate with my ultrahigh processing speed, my terrific attitude and my musicality. Often when I post here, I look up 'previous posts' and skim what's been said previously. I use my cell phone to keep a running to do list and personal FAQs - you son might be responsible enough for a keyboarded cell phone with these extra functions. The school might be willing for him to use the camera to take pictures of the blackboard when the homework assignment is written on it. I take pictures of posters that I want to remember for later - your son is so lucky to be growing up with all these crutches readily availible!

In high school I was able to get the knack of concentrating very hard, getting into a meditative happy space, and dumping what the teacher was saying from my eyeballs straight into permanent memory.

You son will have different strengths, but with 132 Verbal, he must have some areas quite powerful.

I wouldn't let the school's not being willing/able to provide needed services stop me from getting those services outside of school - either by taking a 'do it yourself' approach or paying someone if you or your insurance company can handle it.

And of course - if you son isn't already keyboarding, get out the big time bribes!!!! It makes such a difference.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com