Originally Posted by classicsmom
Originally Posted by luvmyguys
We were actually under the impression that things were improving. His teacher hadn't mentioned anything since earlier in the year. Then this past week we've heard things like "at a loss" and "don't know what else to do" and my heart just sank. I'm definitely getting the impression that she can't "handle" him. What happens next? She asked for our suggestions and we actually said (among other things) that maybe a different classroom or school environment would help. For the first time the words "home schooling" came up in conversation with my husband and I. I have to admit this idea terrifies me. Meanwhile we're still not sure that he's actually gifted, just assuming that he is based on the NNAT. I can't wait till his testing in March. I just hope he and his teacher are able to hang in there until then and we can get some answers. Sorry for the long ramble smile

Ten years ago I never would have dreamed to be doing school at home wink Technically we are doing public school at home via a public cyber charter school, but I would not hesitate to homeschool or do a good public cyber charter school such as one that uses K12 curriculum.

We tried a regular public school and a private school and both did not work for ds frown I did a lot of research and assuaged my fears about socialization which I now truly believe is a non-issue smile. Many areas have large networks of many different kinds of homeschoolers or cyber schoolers:) Plus there are many resources for homeschoolers. I am very grateful to be able to do school at home at the moment.

I suggest the following site:
http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/index.php

Sincerely,
pris

It makes me SO happy to hear your positive experience with K12 as we are strongly (like 99%) sure we are doing that with DS next year. To be honest I'd pull him now and start now if it were fully up to me, but I can understand him wanting to finish K out. He enjoys his classmates and his teacher but is basically only getting handwriting out of school at this point.