Originally Posted by Grinity
While I believe you about the ADHD non-gifted kids not being able to tell you what was said, I know of one PG gifted kid who I sort of believe does have ADD, and 'very often' especially in the elementary grades, could playback the whole conversation. My son 'feels more himself' on ADHD medication, and every psychologist how has crossed our path believes he has ADD, and yet for many years he could do the full playback thing.

I wish it were that simple, but somehow it never is.
Smiles,
Grinity

Grinity-
There are certainly kids who are gifted and have ADHD and I think it's so hard to diagnose these kids because there are so many factors affecting their behavior! Is it OEs today, or ADHD or gifted? It all gets so complicated that I totally agree, only a really good psychologist who his familiar with all of these perspectives will be able to be useful!

My comment was more of a general one that often teachers see a physical behavior (fidgeting, staring off in space, falling out of a chair, talking nonstop etc) and they don't ask why it's happening. There are many reasons why all of these happen, especially in early elementary school. I think it's a huge disservice to all kids, not just the gifted ones, to just point at ADHD and move on.

A silly example? I recently worked with a teacher who had a major discipline problem in her class. She complained repeatedly that the kids didn't listen, wiggled too much and were totally unfocused. I discovered she had a no potty before 10am policy for 1st graders. Why were all those kids fidgeting and not listening? They had to pee! LOL.