Sometimes I think dd is so "mathy" because she has had to read so much non-fiction to meet her hunger for books. (Emotionally she is still so 7.) And then sometimes I think she appears so "wordy" because she has used her math to somehow decode language.

I've read accelerating in math is easier for a school to provide for younger PG because the content is not emotional/age appropriate issues. (I am not feeling eloquent tonight.) I can see that and it is certainly the route our school is taking. It is certainly hard to find reading material for PG young readers who are not emotionally ready for content intended for adults - plus why would they be interested in the same stuff teens and adults read?

I'm not convinced many "mathy" people end up teaching in elementary education. I have a really hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that many adults find elementary school math to be "hard." I suspect this rubs of on their kids and students.

I understand the stuff about the difference between the spread of scores on the math and reading tests. However, when I feel people are just stuffing \dd into the PG "math box" without addressing her reading, they are not really "seeing" her.

I'm glad that there are actually more than 2 boxes.

Warning: sleep deprived