Hi all,

I have not been posting much lately but doing a lot of lurking. I am in a kind of contemplative mode these days letting a lot of thoughts and ideas "percolate" while we move through the holidays and winter weather. I don't necessarily have a specific thought or question but my thoughts lately have been stirred by a lot of posts on here about all those wonderful "mathy" kids...
It seems like those who are stronger in math are more likely to stand out. I am amazed at kids who discover or figure out math ahead of their years. Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division I can see as those concepts surround us. DS is not mathy but I have yet to introduce him to a math topic and not had him able to master it almost immediately. However, if not shown the new concept first he most certainly has never acquired the skills on his own or showed any independent interest in math. For us this is good because it gives him an arena where he does not instantly know the answer and gives him the opportunity to feel the challenge of learning something new.
The other posts I am reading are in regards to applying to DYS. It seems that here too mathy kids are favored or am I misreading? DS is very strong in his verbal/reading/logic skills. He loves mind bending puzzles of all sorts and is really great at them. Reads and comprehends at a 12th grade level (he is 8) but somehow this does not seem as impressive to me as the mathy stuff. Is this just me? Just thinking...always thinking...:-) Would love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Thanks!