I hope it helps. Keep talking if it does.

And since it sounds like you've made the choice to homeschool, be sure you remember that the first year--especially starting mid-year--is a MAJOR learning experience for the parent far more than it is for the child. I strongly recommend having a "I have a lot to figure out because I've never done this before, so you will have to be just as patient with me as I am with you; this will only work if we're in it together" talk with your son. It does so much to set the right tone for a cooperative homeschooling venture.

I also talk a lot about my son being responsible for his own learning. If he wants to study something, that's up to him. I never accept "I'm bored with this." Never. If he's bored with what we're doing it's up to him to come up with a better idea. Then I find the resources.

I refuse to entertain him, but I do what I can to help him motivate himself.

I think that might also be relevant to your concerns about his getting his way. If he has MORE responsibility for his education, not less, he isn't getting his way. It's a step forward, not backward, I think.

Kriston