This is the only preschool, period. It is privately operated but under the auspices of the state government. There is also only one child care centre in town, so by virtue of the fact that some families need child care fulltime until school age, there is an alternative program offered there for kids up to 6 years. The latter is where DS had been attending until recently.

To be frank, my instincts tell me that this has all been way harder than it should've been and I feel like just keeping DS home. However, the reason we've tried so hard to get him in (despite his young age) still remains - he is so lonely, it's heart-breaking. Partly this is a result of our family situation (we've got no family here or friends that are more than casual acquaintances) but it's also DS personality as well. He makes the most of his playdates and has fun, but mostly he just wants to share his ideas with adults. Between DS and DD, both super-intense little 'sponges', DH and I aren't sure where to go with this. It's truly not about getting the kids into school asap (FWIW, looking at the end of K goals for the schools here, DS is long gone and DD22mths has probably mastered 70% of them.) Seeing DS has made a social connection of some sort with these kids, we really wanted him to have the chance to foster that, you know?

More thinking for us to do, I guess smile