Originally Posted by tofu
Bronxmom, I thought you came across really well and I don't think crying in front of him was bad at all.

People cry, its normal and its a good life lesson for your son, especially since he seemed to realize that mum was just a little frustrated and disappointed, at that time. We cant (and shouldn't) always hide how we are feeling (kids know anyway!). Crying is a perfectly natural, normal and harmless emotion and along with open communication can be a great bonding experience. As long as he knew you weren't crying because of him, but because of the school and the process, I don't see the problem at all.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors!

I agree. When I watched it, I had this immediate "oh no" reaction, but I thought about it (before seeing your post) and changed my mind. When I was growing up, I was definitely taught that we should hide our emotions if showing them has the potential for hurting someone else. I hid a lot of things from my parents that I should not have--and my sister even hid the fact that she had been molested. So I am trying to show DD that when you have a strong emotion, or a problem of any kind, you have to express it. You get it out, you deal with it, and you move on. I thought you and your family looked great in the documentary. smile (And I was totally jealous of your son's little science gear; I wish I could trust my almost-4-year-old with that stuff.)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you're homeschooling--how wonderful for you and your son. smile