Well...hmm. If this was my daughter, I'd be extremely careful to ensure that her emotional well-being was the top priority. Children don't typically have defense mechanisms to protect themselves from the attention that a spotlight shines on them. If it was my DD5 and she didn't want to do a story in the media, I wouldn't let the school go ahead, full stop.

As for the "once in a career opportunity" thing, you might want to consider writing a polite but very blunt letter to the principal or headmaster about it. Your daughter is not a rung on someone's career ladder. Actually, and if my understanding of the general job description for a gifted coordinator is correct, this person is supposed to be helping your daughter, not the other way around.

IMHO and YMMV and all the other usual caveats...my feeling is that anyone who could make such a callous statement should get the sack immediately. mad

It's good that the school is trying to help your daughter, but it's not good that they're trying to capitalize on her talents (cue that argument about letting a kid be a kid).

Val