Has anyone ever had stuff there child has worked been publisized to promote their school or the mentor who was working with them? If so, did you have any concerns about this?

What would you say if the gifted coordinator at your dc's school referred to you child as a "once in a career opportunity?"

While I have had a hunch for a while that my dd is the most PG child her school has dealt with in a long, long time, this comment is really getting under my skin. I have spend a year and a half appealing, supporting, advocating, volunteering, and small talking these people. DD is only now starting to get the amount of accleration, extension, differentiation that she needs to be happy - like its been a MONTH.

The school has already done a press release and photo shoot about one project dd was working on. Okay granted, its a private school and the economy is really bad and we want to support the school and what dd is getting "special." But a once in a career opportunity and we only found out about it afterward? What am I not hearing about? Shouldn't she get like 6 months of good service, or better yet a smooth transition from what's happening this year to whatever grade she is going to be in next year before dd's work and chatacter get used as a marketing tool?

I know we need to go back and research what kind of consent we have given the school. So far, her name has not been revealed in print, but there are kids in her class with parents who work at the school and who's parents are on the board. Everyone is suddenly SO much nicer to us. Lots of parents suddenly want their kids to play with dd. I know one of the teachers involved received a teaching award last year, partially for implenting the "book club" my dd has participated in. I think the reward was well deserved, but now I wonder if there are going to be gifted ed articles published too.

So that I was cornered yesterday about if I would allow a 3rd party to used a pict of my dd and her name in an article she is publishing. I need to find out the particulars. Morally, DH and I want to find a way to promote the project because its amazing and about animal conservation and safe water. Plus the more adults who realize kids can think really amazing, complex thoughts the better. Even if the article doesn't used her name, if it id's the school, we are essentially outed.

My other thought is that the work everyone wants to highlight seems to me to be more about her inquiry skills and her character rather than something she built, write or a test score.

DD is only 7. She is worried about being revealed because she doesn't want anyone to be jealous. Do I take that into consideration too?

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading my whole rant. Any advice is appreciated. Now, back to holiday stuff...

Warning: sleep deprived