Willa: yup, I've seen you around SENG. (I'm doodlebug over there). I also subscribe to the list from mensa, brightkids. Lots of experience over there and good resources! teachers on the list - great asset!
I love the stories about Mite. It warms your heart and reaffirms what you know as a parent when the kids spout off that stuff. Mine does similar stuff - and we sit amazed. Last night he read the "parent reminder" about the field trip today out loud to his dad and I. He got "comfortable" and "disposable" but struggled with "educational", maybe that's why they won't advance his spelling words past stuff like hen, peg and must. (He's 5.7 year, skipped kindergarten).

Trinity: you are so right about the soft approach for getting the teachers on your team. Starting your conversation off with the compliment or positive spin is a great idea. I tried that and it worked great to engage her in conversation, but we still didn't get any advancement in the spelling words. frown Oh well, one step at a time. Next real advocacy opportunity will be our first quarter conference on 11/3. Patience and home activities will get us through!