Originally Posted by CFK
The rule of thumb I've always used (that I read in some long forgotten website) is:

1-2 years ahead = Bright to MG
3 years ahead = HG
4 years ahead = EG
above that = PG

Sorry to hijack this a bit, but I have a question re this. My oldest dd, whose IQ tested at 132 on the WISC-IV at age 7 (so MG, I believe, albeit with wild variations btwn 25th to 99.9th w/in subtests), has numerous achievement scores that are more than 4 yrs above grade level, but she is not PG.

The first set of achievement scores that we got (WJ-III) in 2nd grade that would really give us grade level (not how an avg 6th grader would have tested on a 2nd grade test for instance as many of the school grade level achievement tests tell you), put her writing at grade 18+ and many of the other language arts pieces (reading, spelling type of things) more than 4 grades above 2nd grade. Math calculation was right at grade level and the other math piece maybe 2 grades above her current grade, so overall her composite was 5th grade (3 grades above level).

In 4th grade, she had two scores (English and Science) on the EXPLORE that easily qualified for DYS, but she only did so-so on the math part and left crying & went to the bathroom during reading and didn't finish it, so that was also an avg score. Overall, she still made the awards ceremony, though.

In 6th (after skipping a grade), she was still more than 4 grades above level on a reading achievement test (something like 12 grades above level, which was around the ceiling of the test).

Given that this is not a PG/DYS child, how much can we rely on achievement above grade level to predict whether a child is PG? Or is it just that the child needs to be 5+ grades above level in all subjects to be PG?