Originally Posted by Dandy
And we've had the talk in relation to school work since he was young, explaining that he will often be asked to do things that he already knows how to do, and that he will often finish ahead of the other students -- AND -- that he's not allowed to complain about it, as this is disrespectful to the teacher. (And it's not particularly polite to the other students, either.) He's allowed to ask for other work/projects when he's done, or he can ask to read -- he just can't whine to his teacher or make a big production out of it.

With that said, the teacher pointed out to me, "Well he doesn't complain about the work being too easy!" Dang. So much for that exercise in discretion

Wow, we just went through that as well. I had posted before about how DS5 told me on the second day of school that he asked the teacher for something harder and she printed out double and triple digit multiplication and addition, but she couldn't find addition. Well guess what? we went to his meeting yesterday and the teacher says that never happened and DS5 has never asked for harder work. I was shocked and then got really sad about it. My guess is he was imagining what he would have liked to do. That's really sad that he felt stuck and couldn't do it. We talked about a plan for him to put letters on the top of his page to indicate how he feels about work (like TE = too easy, TH = too hard, and GMM = give me more). That way he doesn't have to say it out loud and be disrespectful and stand out any more than he does. We will see how that works or if they use it. Hopefully so.

It's tough about skipping. DS5 skipped K, but since he is way above 2nd grade curriculum they still aren't sure what to do. His school only goes up to 2nd. So they are going to attempt that he does math and reading (and maybe even science hopefully) individually at his own pace. Not sure how long they will do this for and I feel another grade skip may have to happen...but I have been trying to avoid it if not necessary because while it brings him a little closer, he still has to work individually.