Originally Posted by Cathy A
Miraca Gross' book Exceptionally Gifted Children comes to mind.
On my shelf now after learning about it here.

Originally Posted by Cathy A
What about an "I know you want to help, so let's work together and figure this thing out" approach.
I've got the diplomacy down pat. But I was too passive in earlier meetings & also didn't have these test scores banging around in my head -- so I just didn't understand the scope.

This year, I've added some urgency to the diplomacy. I think this is what got the jump to self-paced math.

I took in the Gross study, as well as "A Nation Deceived," but that was overkill -- "just too many words."

Emphasize that doing nothing is a choice for the status quo. It is not a "safe" option and it is currently not a viable option.
I started down this road last week. But I don't think I've sufficiently wrapped my mind around that argument to be convincing. And without them reading the studies that back it up, I just sound like a worry-wart parent.

THEN they said, "Well, you know, he's not even the top in his class. There are kids who are doing better in some subjects."

AND, "He's making mistakes on easy stuff that he should know."

At this point I could feel the blood boiling and knew that my diplomacy was about to depart.

Later on, (if/when Davidson comes into play), they will be able to back up what you've been saying all along. Won't that increase your credibility?
I think that could be a plus... but for the opposite reason I'm left hesitant to push. What if the DYS advocate -- or someone else who has professional, hands-on experience -- comes back & says, "Why in the heck did you do THAT?" Ouch. (This part gets me trapped into endlessly over-thinking the what-ifs.)

Whether or not our family is able to work with DYS, something has to be done, that much is clear.

But after reading the thoughtful suggestions here, it's clear that waiting four+ weeks to maybe get help from DYS would be time wasted. (Especially knowing that we'll still be multiple weeks away from anything at that point anyhow.)

At least by starting now, the proverbial ball will be rolling... and conversations taking place. I was able to get math taken care of in just a couple of weeks, so maybe one chunk at a time.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz