Originally Posted by Dandy
Whether or not our family is able to work with DYS, something has to be done, that much is clear.

But after reading the thoughtful suggestions here, it's clear that waiting four+ weeks to maybe get help from DYS would be time wasted. (Especially knowing that we'll still be multiple weeks away from anything at that point anyhow.)

At least by starting now, the proverbial ball will be rolling... and conversations taking place. I was able to get math taken care of in just a couple of weeks, so maybe one chunk at a time.

Those 4 weeks of waiting can be a killer...I made mine worse by sending in our application 2 weeks earlier than the cutoff!

I couldn't wait for the Davidson answer. Especially after being told in the GIEP meeting that DS could possibly thrive elsewhere. I made the leap to quit my job, take him out of school and start cyberschool before hearing from Davidson. This was all at the end of the school year, so everyone really thought I was a nut for not letting DS finish out the year. In my mind, those were 2 months of him sitting idle, of having extra "enrichment" math work sent home nightly...I wanted to get the ball rolling with cyberschool. I figured if things didn't work out, we could head back to the local district since we at least had the GIEP under our belt.

We received our DYS acceptance shortly after we started cybering. I felt like it was a sign that I made the right decision. I'm more confident if we happen to return to the local district, with the GIEP and the backing of Davidson if need be. I had to do what I felt was right at the time. I'm one of those "life is too short" people, and I couldn't leave him in an environment that I knew was taking away his love of learning.