Originally Posted by marieg
It got really challenging really quickly (and not everything was an automatic 100% every time!) but I think in some ways that is a good thing. When you get 5/10 on an assignment because you blew through the homework and didn't really READ the instructions is a mistake she has remembered!
And way better to learn this lesson in middle school where the grades don't 'really' count than in High School or College!

LOL - I just read ahead and saw your post about Aleks!
Over the years, I would say that it has generalized somewhat, as long as we keep DS within his 'readiness level' - if the work drops below it, then forgettaboutit. Also, DS13 now has external motivators - like the desire to get into a fancy collge even though his mom thinks the local State University is just as good, and a much better value - that are making DS really generalize that lesson throughout his schoolwork. Personal mentors and favorite teachers that your child wants to impress might be a different external motivator.

Smiles,
Grinity

Still ((hugs)) it's a tough transition!
Grinity

Last edited by Grinity; 09/16/09 01:11 PM. Reason: hadn't read the whole thread!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com