My dd6 started doing HW in K. It took about 5 to 10 mins. She got very tired of coloring and practicing her handwriting after school. I spoke with her teacher about it and she said she was doing much more than she needed to do. My DD is a little perfectionist. She would completely color everything when a little coloring was ok and she would erase her letters several times until she was satisfied. Once I told her what the teacher said it made a big difference in he HW attitude and took some of the pressure off. It seems sad, she put this pressure on her self in K. I was glad I talked to the teacher because I would think lots of Moms might just think oh well she just doesn't like it, that's how school goes sometimes.

My DS9 gets HW that is suppose to take 30 mins but his does it in 10. I am glad I see and do some HW with him because it lets me feel like I know more about how he is doing in school. The school feels this parental involvement is very important to the kids success. I've heard other parents complain about the HW and how hard it is for their kids and what is suppose to be 30 mins turns into a dreaded occasion.

Our school has a NO HW on Friday policy. I do love that because it makes play dates easier.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/10/09 09:46 AM.