I only came across this thread b/c of a link on another thread, so sorry to drag up an older one. I just wanted to say that we got a similar spiel from the charter school dds attended a few years back. We were looking to skip dd#1 from 3rd to 5th (skipping 4th). Despite dd being an excellent candidate on the Iowa Acceleration Scale and a letter from a local psych who had seen her who said it was a good move, the principal told us that, in her experience, it was always a disaster. She didn't care about research, only her personal anecdotal experience.

We changed schools, spent a year w/ dd basically working as a free teacher's helper in 4th and having a fun year socially but learning little to nothing academically and then skipped 5th to send her on to middle school. That was last year and she completed 6th grade with straight As in the accelerated classes and still scored above the 99th percentile for a 6th grader in the one thing they tested her on -- reading.

My dd is not PG/Davidson eligible. She is most likely a HG kid, but a skip was the right move for her and it sounds like it is for your dd as well. In your instance, you will probably need to do even more than that over the years.