Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: trout School Frustration! - 04/15/09 05:10 PM
Ugggg. I never thought it would happen to us. I thought we had DD4 in a progressive school, one with thoughtful administrators and teachers who valued logic, empirical research and doing the best for the kids. Earlier in the year, with DD4 getting bored we approached the school about skipping K and going straight to 1st grade for next year.

Their Answer: "We have never done that here before."

We replied, well, we know her reading is off the charts (she is reading chapter books) what if we get her tested (IQ and Achievement) and we all talk about it with some facts in front of us.

Their A: OK. Get her tested. We'd be happy to talk about it. (Bonus teacher quote from this conference where proceeding with testing was decided upon, "I have never had a child so smart in my entire teaching career. And I am running out of things for her to do.")

Well, we did an IQ test and it was higher than the DYS cut-off. The testing Dr. couldn't do the Achievement test right away, so we took the WPPSI-III result to the school along with many print-outs: several chapters from "A Nation Deceived," a few print-outs from the Davidson website, something on acceleration from Hoagies. I wrote a summary of all the research we presented to the school and gave it to them in a meeting where we presented our case.

Their answer: "Wow. We really learned a lot. Thanks. We'll try placing your DD4 in first grade right now an afternoon or two a week as a test to see how she handles it. We'll have another meeting in a month."

We wait. A month passes. DD never tells us about getting to go to 1st grade. So, we call.

Their answer: "Oh we are very busy. But we haven't forgotten about you."

We wait another two weeks, and DD comes home telling a story of getting to go 1st grade for an afternoon. She reports the work was easy but it was very fun. We get a letter in the mail. It is from the school! Is this our answer! No, it is a re-enrollment form for the next year asking for a large $$ non-refundable deposit for Kindergarten. We call.

Their answer: "We won't make a decision until June because we have to observe your DD until then to see if she is ready. Give us the deposit, and we'll hold a place for you in 1st grade. But on the enrollment form please check off "kindergarten" since we haven't decided yet. But also, we need something else from you in order to decide. We want to talk to an expert, to someone who works with gifted kids. We want to talk to them about acceleration."

We get off the phone and curse our fate! DD's tester, despite telling us how rare DD's score was, had told us she is "anti-acceleration." Her reason: "Oh, it is fine when they are in first grade. But when the are in 9th grade and younger it is too awkward. You have to think long-term here. I have two kids and I wouldn't want my younger one in my older one's high school." Wait-- are you kidding me? You test gifted kids for a living and you are 100% anti-acceleration? Why do you even test kids if you think they all should stay with age mates no matter what the score is? And besides, have you read any of the stuff we're reading? And how do you extrapolate what is best for all kids from your experience with your own kids?

So, we know we need another expert. We still have to do the achievement testing, so we call around locally and ask for prices on the package of: (1) Achievement tests and (2) talking with the school. We have sticker shock. All the other testers want 3x the money that our original tester wanted. We try to think outside the box. Hey! What if we use our original tester for the achievement tests, but use a real expert to talk to the school! We call one of the most famous advocates for PG and HG kids around: an amazing author and advocate who really knows this population. We call. We are able to hire the expert for a long-distance assessment and review of the test scores and a phone meeting with the school. Hooray! We set up an appointment time for the school to speak with the expert. We send test scores and intake forms to the expert. We call the school with the good news: "Hey! We have an expert all lined up-- a world-class expert who actually wrote the book on this stuff!"

Their answer: "We won't speak to the expert."
Us: "What????"
Them: "We will only speak to someone locally who has met the child."
Us: "Well, we have already hired the expert. We have paid for the time. The expert will be sitting around for 45 minutes at our scheduled time. Why not just speak to the expert anyway, it can't hurt, right?"
Them: "No. You are not listening. We will not speak to the expert. We don't care if it is already paid for."

And then came the insane comment of all time, especially for an educator in charge of kids' education, and this is an exact quote:

"We don't want or need to learn anything else about the gifted. Everything we need to know we read in the research you gave us."

Cut to a few weeks later. We have a parent-teacher conference. DD's current teacher tells us she is opposed to acceleration because of DD's size.

She says, "The kids in first grade [through 3rd grade, who all play on the playground at the same time] are too big. Your DD just won't fit in on the playground."

I say, "Well, she just won't fit in the K Classroom. If we have to pick a place for her not to fit, I'd rather have it be recess."

She says, "But it is more than that. A very important part of Elementary school is pushing the lunch cart from the Kitchen to the classroom. It is a big responsibility. If she can't push that lunch cart, it will be a problem socially."

I say, "What if you had a child in your class that had a growth hormone problem and whose growth was severely stunted. Are you going to make them stay in Kindergarten until they are 18 because they cannot take their once-a-month turn pushing the lunch cart?

She says, "[silence, and then] that is all the time we have to talk about this...."

So, discouraged and disappointed, we go to get the achievement tests (WJ-III.) DD4 scores really well. 147 Broad Reading. 154 Broad Math. 147 Broad Written Language. Academic Skills Grade Equivalence: 3.7 (A little past the half way point of 3rd grade.) Brief reading grade equivalence: fifth grade (199 score on the subtest); only two subtests out of the 18 had a grade equivalence less than 2nd grade (one being hand-writing,) and both of those had grade equivalence at the very end of first grade. 12 of the 18 subtests are at or greater than 99.9%. 18 of 21 are above 99%. And we are talking about where DD will be placed next September-- 5 months from now all this grade equivalence will be higher because DD is a sponge! So.....

Our local tester, after seeing these achievement scores reluctantly admits that maybe acceleration, "in this rare case", might be ok.

We call the school to try to set up a time. The school floors us with this gem:

They say [and this is paraphrased because it was slightly-- but only slightly-- more subtle]:n "You are pushy parents. You are those types want DD to be one of those kids that does calculus by 10. [OK, the line about calculus is a absolute direct 100% faithful quote.] We do not think your DD really wants to be in first grade and we think you are pushing this on her. We think she should be protected from your trying to get her to go to college at 14." And then they add, bizarrely, "We still haven't decided and we will give you an answer in June."

Our answer: Dumbfounded, slack-jawed, shock. Do they not get that kids who do calculus at 10 do that because they can and like to? Do they really think the difference between a kid who is doing 5th grade math at 10 and one doing calculus is "pushy parents"? It wouldn't have mattered if my parents were the pushiest people in the universe-- I couldn't have done calculus at 10. But many DYS kids can and it has nothing to do with pushy parents!!! And I just love [<---sarcasm, a rhetorical trait of mine that usually only comes out when I am angry] how the excuses kept changing along the way: (1) We need to talk with an expert. [ok, Here is one. No, we won't speak to an expert!] (2) She is too small physically. (OK. Think that through, it doesn't make sense] (3) We are protecting your DD from you. [ok. no answer to that... because it is lunacy!]

Other lowlights along the way:

Us: There is a boy in DD's class who was held back a year. How is this different?
Them: We hold people back if they are immature. You are asking us to move DD ahead because of academics.
[Do they not see that her abilities are all mixed up with maturity? When she figured out the Santa Claus deception at 3 on her own because, "No one can read minds. If Santa were real he'd have to read all the kids' minds to know what they wanted and that isn't possible. The only people who knew I wanted a dress nightgown was Mommy and Daddy. You are Santa!" Do they not see that this is maturity? Do they not see that when the teacher told us at the first parent teacher conference that DD is, "my little teacher's assistant, because she is so kind and so good at helping all the kids when I [the teacher] am busy" that this is maturity? DD is way more like a 7 year old than a typical 4 year old.

Adding insult to injury: When they said they didn't want to speak with the amazing author / expert, we went to talk to another school. We presented our case. We had a friend, who has known DD since infancy, and who is as involved as any parent can be in the school tell the head of that school about our plight. We had DD's first teacher (who is now at that other school) talk to the head of school explaining that when DD started in her class at 2 and half she was fully reading and that in this teacher's opinion she should be accelerated. The new school's response: "We'd love to do it. But the other school is the best private school in town, and this is a small town. We sit on boards with them and in associations with them and have other mutual interests. If they won't do it [accelerate], we don't want to step on their toes by doing it. It is bad politics."

What is this, private school mafia? Argggggg!!!!!! Are you kidding me!!!!!!

Anyway, I never thought this would happen to us. From all the pretty talk at our fancy private school I always thought it was all about the children. Whatever works for the kids, whatever is best for their education. What a lie. Anyway, I am getting comfortable with the idea of homeschooling next year, and I am actually looking forward to it. And although DD isn't old enough enough to apply for DYS yet, I seriously come close to tears (ok, real tears, right now, it is official) thinking about the generous, extraordinary work that the Davidson Institute does. I am so grateful and happy that there is a counterforce of good, a counterweight of reason, in a world that is filled with administrators and teachers who think that gifted children need to be protected from their parents-- parents who actually want nothing more than that their children have the same opportunity to be challenged and love learning that all the other kids get.

Oh wow, what a rant!. Bu that was a little bit cathartic :-) so thanks :-)
Posted By: EastnWest Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 05:22 PM
> smile <
> smile <
> smile <
> smile <
> smile <
> smile <
I could not find a hug icon so I am sending some homemade smiley hugs to you and your family.

EW

Man! After all that work you did!!! The school could have saved you a heap of trouble if they had just said no in the first place...
Posted By: crisc Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 05:31 PM
I can also read your post with sympathy. Since we have not had much luck in the advocacy department I can only offer you support without the advice. Sometimes I am totally puzzled with how school administrators can actually believe what they are saying.

I actually got one this week in e-mail when I asked for copies of any assessments they might have done on DS6 to review prior to our placement meeting next week:
None of the assessments that I have would play a major role in our decision for placement for DS6, or any other child, for a future grade.

Seriously....
Posted By: giftedticcyhyper Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 05:36 PM
WOW! That is some story. I really don't understand what motivates the people that you've dealt with.
Posted By: Irisheyes Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 05:38 PM
Trout,

I have no advice, but lots of sympathy for your situation. Your dd4 sounds a lot like my dd4 -- and I sometimes can't sleep at night wondering what the future holds for her.

Just know you're not alone in your journey. I hope this board provides you helpful support and reassurance!

Irish Eyes
Posted By: Chrys Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 05:45 PM
Ugh. We have parent teacher conference today to discuss similar issues about our 6yo dd.

The whole pushy parent versus parent of gifted in a private school sounds so familiar. I feel for you and yours.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 05:46 PM
Your daughter must just intimidate the hell out of them! All those grown-ups afraid of one little girl....pathetic.

I think you should homeschool and I think you should start now! Why wait for the end of the year? Do you really want people this unreasonable to have access to your child all day? Nothing pisses me off faster than when someone implies that i'm pushing my son. They should all be forced to live with him for a week: I guarantee that they would rethink their comments!

I'd also do whatever I had to in order to get my deposit back. Get the State BOE involved, file a suit, whatever....

And you're right, it is nice to know you're not in this alone, it's what keeps me coming back!

Good Luck!
Posted By: inky Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 05:52 PM
Wow, what a story! I was impressed with this answer you gave:

Originally Posted by Trout
"What if you had a child in your class that had a growth hormone problem and whose growth was severely stunted. Are you going to make them stay in Kindergarten until they are 18 because they cannot take their once-a-month turn pushing the lunch cart?

Thank you for making me feel better about my frustrations with DD's public school. At least I'm not paying big bucks to get the major run-around. Luckily, you're figuring this out now instead of many $$$ and years of frustration later.
Posted By: LMom Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 07:32 PM
What a story frown They might have had at least enough decency to tell you right away that they wouldn't accelerate your child no matter what. I cannot believe they had you jump through all the hoops just to tell you that you were a pushy parent. I still remember how upset I was when I was on the receiving end of this comment.

Homeshool. Truth to be told 1st grade would be still too easy for your daughter and she may not be missing that much. This is our 1st year hs DS6 and we are very happy with the freedom it gives us.

Welcome to the board.
Posted By: IronMom Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 08:57 PM
Goodness. Sorry. The ignorance even AFTER one educates them (or tries to) is just unbelieveable! Why, why, why do we even bother??!!!!! You just reminded me why we need to home school next year - though every day i don't visit this board I still second guess myself and wonder if I gave up on public school or private school too fast!! But then, DS6 not even as close to gifted as your DD. Hang in there!
Posted By: kimck Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 09:19 PM
Wow - that is stunning. I am so sorry for all your trouble. And that from a private school, no less!? If it's at all comforting, homeschooling has been a wonderful fit for my 2nd grade son. Much better than a single grade skip, which may have felt like a band aid for a broken leg. It sounds like your daughter may have been in a similar place.

Much sympathy headed your way!
Posted By: BonusMom Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 09:44 PM
Oh, how sad. We too have gotten nowhere with acceleration, and our son is likely only moderately gifted (we've done no IQ testing yet - it's just my guess), so one grade-skip may have actually solved everything. Now the principal sits in on every parent-teacher conference and we hear constantly about what a problem his behavior is. Well, gee, what do you expect when he has to spell a dozen words he already proved he knows by stamping one letter at a time?!

But, of course, "every parent thinks their child is gifted."

Harumph.
Posted By: Kriston Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 10:44 PM
Your post brought tears to my eyes. Print it and include it in your application to DYS, won't you? It should feature prominently!

Welcome. Let us know if we can help in any way. So sorry for all that you've been through!
Posted By: Jamie B Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 10:47 PM
I'm so frustrated for you! I'm about to start that process with my DS (4) and am afraid that I'm going to have just as much luck as you. And I'll cry just like you.

So you are doing homeschool for sure next year? I wonder if they are so intimidated by her that they're secretly happy that you're pulling her out.

You pushy parent you smile
Posted By: melmichigan Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 11:01 PM
And administrators actually wonder why we end up pulling our kids and homeschooling. Hell o!
Posted By: incogneato Re: School Frustration! - 04/15/09 11:45 PM
I agree, I would not pay to send my child to that school. Start investigating what your options are with public school. Because of liability, they can sometimes be convinced to be more flexible, but that's depending on state laws and policies.

I'd like to say don't cry, but it really is okay to cry........or sit in the back of a dark closet with a bottle of vodka???? grin

You know what would be funny......if at the point when they said: "you're one of those pushy parents who would be having their child do calculus at 10", you countered with:

"You are CRAZY.................I would not even let her attempt it until she is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laugh
Posted By: LMom Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by incogneato
"You are CRAZY.................I would not even let her attempt it until she is 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFL. I have to remember this one. It may come handy one day.
Posted By: incogneato Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 12:17 AM
I'm glad we can chuckle about these things. For the record, I surely don't see either of my DD's doing calculus at 12! grin
Posted By: Kriston Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 01:04 AM
I never did either. But now that I'm thinking DS7 may be doing algebra in the next year, and geometry was a walk in the park for him, it seems less crazy than it used to...

And don't get me started about crazy DS4 and his arithmetic...

Hey, scootch over in the closet and quit hogging the bottle, will you? GT denial beckons!

wink
Posted By: S-T Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 01:15 AM
Wow! TFS your story trout! I find myself waiting for the "best" part (that finally someone in school will get it) but it didn't come. frown I was still optimistic when I came to the part when u approached the other school. What a let down! and a lousy excuse (politics!).

Since u are open to HS, go for it! smile
Posted By: shellymos Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 02:14 AM
So sorry Trout. My heart goes out to you, it is so scary to hear educators saying such ignorant things. It doesn't surprise me, but it still is quite disheartening. I just had my first meeting at my sons school, a public school. I met with the principal and asst superintendent today to plan for next year. I had sent them DS4's huge evaluation with lots of thoughts and recommendations for DS4's education. DS will be DYS eligible in the summer when he turns 5 and I plan to apply.

I have to say, I can't believe the lunch cart comment. How ridiculous. I must say, that although my meeting went "okay" today, I heard a couple similar comments. My favorite was a reference to sports. It started like this..

Principle: Is your son in any sports, or do you plan on him being in any?
Me: He likes sports, so we will probably look into it
P: well that could be a problem if we accelerated him...because he wouldn't really be with peers
Me: I don't get what you mean
P: well, I think that tee ball is based on age....and if he were to play he wouldn't be with kids from his grade and wouldn't be with his peers.
Me: I don't see that as an issue at all, definitely not a reason to not accelerate him

I am not sure what our school is going to do. They started off by saying that they are sure they can find a K classroom to suit his needs. To which I explained that I don't think any K class would suit his needs if it is still K. They did agree to allow him to skip the K screening (I hadn't even asked for this, they just said that they didn't find it necessary) and instead will have him come into a 1st and 2nd grade classroom in a few weeks for morning to observe him in their centers. I am not sure what information this will provide them, but apparently they want to observe him. If it will help me out, that is fine. If it makes them say no...well I have a lot more fight in me. : ) They have told me that some kids have been accelerated, and at least one of them seemed to agree that in this case it would be best to just get it over with early since we know it is going to happen instead of having him make friends and then skip a grade next year. They were clearly anti-multiple skips. They have apparently never seen that and were really focused on staying with age peers, give or take a year. So who knows. I hope that HS will work well for you and wish the best of luck. Please know you aren't alone. There are others out there for sure. : )
Posted By: m2gts Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 02:30 AM
Trout,

I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of this. Just wanted to say you are _definitely_ not alone. Big hugs to you and your family.
Posted By: CAMom Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 04:32 AM
Just for the record :-) My son was supposed to play tball this year and has been successfully accelerated to Minor A level! We've heard the sports argument before but when he wanted to try out and play up, we let him do it! He is the only 6 year old on a team of 7-9 year olds... and he holds his own just fine. Who knows when growth spurts and puberty will take hold. Right now he's still 99th% for height. With an uncle at 6 ft. 7 inches, a grandfather at 6 ft 4 and a mom at 5 ft 9 (I'm the shortest girl in my family!) I think he'll be okay.
Posted By: Raddy Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 07:04 AM
This is so familiar. We had the school get an Educational Psychologist to evaluate our (then) 8 year old. We were asked to provide a file of 'evidence' to present to him. This irked us no end, as teachers all along had said our son was exceptional. So, we scoured the school reports and collated the 'teacher' evidence and presented same to the Headmster and the EP (who, incidentally, in our first meeting hadn't been told any background, or received our 'evidence' )

Eventually, after assessing our son we had a case meeting:
"Is this boy talented? - Yes. Is this boy gifted? Yes"

The headmaster managed to avoid the meeting. we are due, by law, a written assessment which we still, 6 months later have not had. And the school put our son on the Special Needs Register for HIS educational problems!

So I guess I am saying to you, you are not alone, a lot of us have similar experiences and feel and share your frustration and anger.

Our solution was to put him in a private school (God knows how we will find the money) but at least his individuality is nor penalised, and his exceptiona abilities and gifts are appreciated (so far)
Posted By: Val Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 07:05 PM
We've been through two private schools and looked at many others, and here's what I've learned: they will say anything to get your first check.

If you look through private school promotional materials, you'll notice that most of their statements are variations on a few themes:

Every child is valued at our school. (Other schools are Bronte-esque quasi-dungeons where heat is not allowed in winter and children are beaten twice daily at 10:45 a.m. exactly and as they exit the premises.)

Every child gets individual attention. (Examples: when teacher is taking attendance, each child is called upon individually. Sometimes, when your child raises his hand, the teacher will call on him individually and listen to him as he speaks [as long as he doesn't talk too long or ask too many annoying questions!]).

We offer the best curriculum. (Even though we use the same textbooks that all the other schools use.)

Our program instills a lifelong love of learning. (This is due to our Very Special Methods (VSMs [tm]). Take times tables. We don't just drill, baby, we hit oil. You will see the magic every time your Little Daisy says "Three times five is FIFTEEN!")

You and your child will never want to leave this school. (Forgot how many of those re-enrollment forms don't get returned come March/April. People who don't re-enroll are obviously wrong-headed and their kids never belonged here to begin with).

We cater to gifted kids. (If the check clears, the kid's a genius. If it bounces, he's an idiot).

This last one is an actual quote from a pre-school employee at the XXX School for the Gifted in a moment of uncharacteristic candidness.

----------

I'm not trying to be flippant here. I'm just trying to help you laugh a little bit through your tears.

I have to say that I'm impressed that such a small group of people managed to use every single boneheaded argument against acceleration and even managed to invent one of their own. I mean, that cart thing is very special. It's right up there with the statement from my DS's kindergarten teacher. When I asked her to help him with his reading, she refused, saying that "silent e can be damaging at this age."

I agree with other people who question the wisdom of sending your daughter back to this school next year. Here are some questions you might want to ask them or yourselves:

* Even if they do let her skip kindergarten, will they be so resentful that they'll find a way to punish you or her?

* How does the first grade teacher feel about acceleration?

* I've read that private school enrollments are down due to the economy. This situation can be advantageous for you. Can you call around to other schools to ask about how they feel about accelerating her, given all your evidence?

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you need to nail down what a school will do for your daughter [b]before you give them that first check. [/b]

For example, don't let them get away with saying "We'll observe her in kindergarten for a few weeks and then see about promoting to grade 1." They might use a seductive argument like "We have to see if she has enough energy to withstand the whole day in school." This argument has always baffled me because schools are happy to keep these same kids in day care until 5 or 6 p.m. If they have enough stamina to hang around until 6, surely they can make it to 3:30, right? Right?

If they want to test her themselves (which they shouldn't for a 1-grade skip, based on what you've got), nail down dates and what will happen if scores are xxx or yyy. Testing should happen BEFORE you give them a check.

Ask in advance: will they let your child do reading or math or whatever ahead of grade level if necessary? Nail down details and try to get policies in writing (even as an e-mail) if you can.

Finally, don't let them substitute marketing material for the actual needs of your child. if they stick to the platitudes when you're interviewing them, be careful. Make sure your platitude detector is functioning before you leave the house!

Val

Posted By: CAMom Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 07:14 PM
Val-
I wish I had read this exact post two years ago when school hunting. We fell for the marketing brochure. We fell for the "Gifted and college-prep academy" which turned out to mean exactly as you said- gifted people have money, everyone else is out.

We learned the hard way that "well-rounded" means refusing to teach above grade because then they won't be "rounded" anymore. We learned that "growing self-confident learners" means avoiding individualization, lest someone gets their feelings hurt.

And worst of all, we learned that "small class sizes" means plenty of time for a pissed off teacher who doesn't want to change to find nitpicky reasons why a child cannot be allowed to move ahead. ("See this circle he drew? It's a bit oval- he needs more practice." or "See this picture he colored? The grass isn't green- he needs more practice seeing the world the way others do")
Posted By: Val Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 07:48 PM
Thanks CAMom. I wish I had known this stuff two years ago, too!

Val
Posted By: LMom Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 09:47 PM
Val, well said, really well. Your post should be turned into a sticky for everybody to read before deciding on a new school.

"well-rounded" is one of favorite excuses. "whole child" nonsense tops my list. I kept hearing it over and over last year.
Posted By: inky Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 09:49 PM
This thread has provided lots of good material for Hoagie's Ridiculous Things I Heard Today!

I'm torn between whether the lunch cart deprivation or the damaging silent e is more ridiculous. shocked

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/ridiculous_things.htm
Posted By: Kriston Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 10:17 PM
The one that made me give up was the notion that in spite of his DYS-level test scores and GT ID *BY THE SCHOOL ITSELF*, his teacher was making noises that because he didn't finish his painfully easy, highly repetitive work in the time allotted, he apparently wasn't that smart.

<eye roll>

I knew I was going to have a long row to hoe with that teacher if we stuck it out. We chose not to. It just wasn't worth it! frown
Posted By: Val Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by inky
This thread has provided lots of good material for Hoagie's Ridiculous Things I Heard Today!

I'm torn between whether the lunch cart deprivation or the damaging silent e is more ridiculous. shocked

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/ridiculous_things.htm

She looked so...confident in herself when she said it! This may be the worst part of it all --- that so many educators are so unaware of their own cluelessness.

Val
Posted By: Val Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by LMom
Val, well said, really well. Your post should be turned into a sticky for everybody to read before deciding on a new school.

"well-rounded" is one of favorite excuses. "whole child" nonsense tops my list. I kept hearing it over and over last year.

I forgot to mention "subject mastery," which can be a code phrase for "they have to master all the information in one grade-level curriculum before they can advance." Another clue to this one is a statement indicating the need to "fill in the gaps" or a policy of avoiding "gaps in learning."

These policies sound seductive at first but they ignore the fact that gaps can be good challenges for gifted kids and that complete mastery is therefore not always necessary in order to move ahead.

Val
Posted By: Advocate Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 10:36 PM
Bless your heart, trout!

I can relate.

I won't begin to recount all the hoops we've had to jump through in order to get close to a good program for next year -- and that is after wasting 4 public school years with not a bit of differentiated at-level work. And this is with consistent, repeated 99.9% scores in IQ and ACH, total and some broad areas / indices as well. After the WJ-III 180 ACH Total at almost 6 years, I thought we were finally getting somewhere, but then had to switch schools, and we started all over again.

The delay tactics are common.

To follow up on Hoagie's Ridiculous Things ... last year, 2'nd grade, the issue was that my son had some gaps in his learning: he "lacked dictionary concepts." Yep, that's right. So after about 5 minutes at home, dissecting the various parts of a dictionary entry, I figured we were good to go -- go to middle school that is :-) Unfortunately, they thought differently. More hoops. More delays.

I have a long history advocating (pretty successfully) for my son's special need (he is a 2E kid), so I am somewhat inured to the stress of the fight. Nothing a school district or bureaucratic agency could throw at me would surprise me at this point.

And I'm sure this is the same as at a private school as well, though I have no experience there.

Please be encouraged that you can and will meet your daughter's need. It may not come easily, but it is entirely possible ... though perhaps not in the way you think it will play out. After all, she is very young. You have a long path in front of you :-)

I always have found that if I give a lot of forethought (and prepare a list) of what my son needs in a program, and what that program should look like (and prepare a detailed description), I am a better advocate for him. In other words, I go into every meeting with a clear mind as to what I want for him. A vision of what I want for him. If I can communicate that vision clearly, and with enthusiasm, we ultimately prevail.

My best wishes to you!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 11:30 PM
WAIT! No one told me of the dangers of silent e! crazy

Yes, please add that to the hoagies page. That's near the top.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: School Frustration! - 04/16/09 11:41 PM
Trout ...... I'm in tears reading your post. Seriously. That. is. just. unbelievable. When did this become being about the adults and not the kids?
Posted By: Austin Re: School Frustration! - 04/17/09 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by trout
Their Answer: "We have never done that here before."

What a coincidence. Neither have we!

What an amazing story!!
Posted By: Austin Re: School Frustration! - 04/17/09 04:16 AM
Originally Posted by shellymos
P: well that could be a problem if we accelerated him...because he wouldn't really be with peers

BS!!!

I played soccer with HS kids when I was 12 and accelerated during lunch. We had pickup games every day. It was a blast and I held my own.

These same principals like to brag about their sports programs when the kids should be studying for class after school not playing sports. They deliberately praise them for wasting their time.

Posted By: Raddy Re: School Frustration! - 04/17/09 09:59 AM
Val
I hear what you are saying. We fell for the marketing material from the state school that did nothing when they realised, and told us, that at the age of 5 our son was the only child they had ever come across who could perform deductive reasoning. We waited 4 wasted painful damagaing years for something to happen. It didn't - things just got worse.

Look at the blurb, meet the head teacher and the teachers and other parents to see what they feel.

For us, this is pretty much last chance saloon. They have, however recognised and are addressing the fact that rather than being average at maths he is within the top 10% - something vehemently fought against at his state school. Acceleration - they laughed at us.

In principle, I am absolutely against private fee-paying education since I know there are many children who are 'working class' who are way ahead of the rich kids. we are not rich by any stretch, and much as it goes against everything i have believed in, but i have one son and he has one chance and I have to give him that.

He just produced a model/sculpture yesterday of such feeling and maturity called 'The Widower'. It is a man holding a baby with a little boy reaching up to him. It displays emotion and pathos. At the new private school it may be displayed in the Summer Art Exhibition - maybe he will get the mentoring and help he needs to develop. At his state school they just couldn't be bothered. I wish fom the bottom of my heart that that wasn't the case - but it was.

God help us all in this struggle to get what our kids need and deserve!
Posted By: trout Re: School Frustration! - 04/17/09 04:41 PM
Wow. Thank you for all the empathy, the wisdom and the kind words. I was so depressed after our last conversation with the school (the day before I posted) but after reading all the amazing responses in this thread I am feeling confidant about DD's future and just much, much better. While I am horrified how common our experience is, I am also finding great comfort in the fact that we are not alone in this quagmire.

On a positive note, I just bought the book, "The Well-Trained Mind" and I am getting genuinely excited about this homeschooling idea as I read it. Thank you again everyone for your amazing posts, reading all these comments really helped us get some perspective and just feel like there is a shelter against the madness. Thank you!
Posted By: shellymos Re: School Frustration! - 04/17/09 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Austin
Originally Posted by shellymos

BS!!!

I played soccer with HS kids when I was 12 and accelerated during lunch. We had pickup games every day. It was a blast and I held my own.

These same principals like to brag about their sports programs when the kids should be studying for class after school not playing sports. They deliberately praise them for wasting their time.

yikes, I really do know how to spell principal. Anyhow, I really hated the sports comment as well. I don't know if DS is going to be a sports star as he hasn't been so inclined...but he has always been a big kid (born 10 lb 1 oz a week early). And he is advanced with his motor skills...so I am not too concerned. That is good to hear your experience. I think if DS were to pick a sport right now it would be soccer...or possibly baseball. He is pretty good...maybe even on par with a child that is one year older (gasp).
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: School Frustration! - 04/18/09 12:08 AM
YEAH!!! Other good books I found for positive motivation and insight is "The First Year of Homeschooling" by Dobson. She tells the trials and tribulations and she discusses kids who've never been in school as well as kids who have been removed from school. The issues she discusses rang very true for me having a kid who had been in PS for K-2.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: School Frustration! - 07/13/09 10:25 PM
I only came across this thread b/c of a link on another thread, so sorry to drag up an older one. I just wanted to say that we got a similar spiel from the charter school dds attended a few years back. We were looking to skip dd#1 from 3rd to 5th (skipping 4th). Despite dd being an excellent candidate on the Iowa Acceleration Scale and a letter from a local psych who had seen her who said it was a good move, the principal told us that, in her experience, it was always a disaster. She didn't care about research, only her personal anecdotal experience.

We changed schools, spent a year w/ dd basically working as a free teacher's helper in 4th and having a fun year socially but learning little to nothing academically and then skipped 5th to send her on to middle school. That was last year and she completed 6th grade with straight As in the accelerated classes and still scored above the 99th percentile for a 6th grader in the one thing they tested her on -- reading.

My dd is not PG/Davidson eligible. She is most likely a HG kid, but a skip was the right move for her and it sounds like it is for your dd as well. In your instance, you will probably need to do even more than that over the years.
Posted By: wondermom6 Re: School Frustration! - 07/17/09 04:01 AM
I had to add on here because we went down a similar road with our DD, now 12. Elementary school was a nightmare with a principal who hated the whole concept of giftedness - we could get no acceleration, though DD6 tested in the 99.9 percentile, until we went behind the principal's back between 3rd and 4th grade and tested out of 4th grade math.

I taught for 13 years - high school mathematics - before I became a parent. What all parents here need to know is that the teachers and administrators are not required to take a class on giftedness in order to work in the schools. I never had a course - not even a lecture about it. When you have a degree in something, you assume that you've been taught all you need to know - that's where they are coming from - they think that if there was something important to know about giftedness, then they would have learned about it in college. When you have a meeting with school personnel, know that what they bring to the meeting is likely only what they think they know about giftedness - they don't know what they don't know. My dream, after those nightmare years of elementary school, is to start a requirement that all teachers and administrators get educated about giftedness - through teacher inservice for those already working - adding a required course for those who are working on degrees.

DD is now 12, skipped 6th grade last year, and will take 2 high school courses next year.
Posted By: marieg Re: School Frustration! - 07/17/09 10:58 PM
This thread...it makes me count our blessings...so greatful for supportive schools and administrations. I wish them upon every parent in this situation.
Posted By: Grinity Re: School Frustration! - 09/21/09 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by wondermom6
I taught for 13 years - high school mathematics - before I became a parent. What all parents here need to know is that the teachers and administrators are not required to take a class on giftedness in order to work in the schools. I never had a course - not even a lecture about it. When you have a degree in something, you assume that you've been taught all you need to know - that's where they are coming from - they think that if there was something important to know about giftedness, then they would have learned about it in college. When you have a meeting with school personnel, know that what they bring to the meeting is likely only what they think they know about giftedness - they don't know what they don't know. My dream, after those nightmare years of elementary school, is to start a requirement that all teachers and administrators get educated about giftedness - through teacher inservice for those already working - adding a required course for those who are working on degrees.

DD is now 12, skipped 6th grade last year, and will take 2 high school courses next year.

Wow wondermom - I really appreciate you sharing this. It is so sad and so insightful. Would you consider writing about your experience and submitting it to http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/

BTW - have you applied the the Davidson Young Scholar Program?

anyway - thank you!

Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: School Frustration! - 09/21/09 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Gifted Mom
I think the only comment I disagree with is about teachers assuming they know all they need to when they get their degree. When I got my degree a decade ago, "lifelong learning" was the big buzz word/phrase. We were taught that you never stop learning and Pennsylvania, at least, has a pretty good continuing education requirement to maintain certification.

BUT if the topic isn't on the table as something to learn about, and there is a culture in place where classes in gifted aren't 'in your face,' then I think that most people will find it very difficult to 'find' the need to learn more about gifted education.
Posted By: Grinity Re: School Frustration! - 09/21/09 02:23 PM
I can live with that but in my experience of having a 1in 1000 type kid is that many teachers and admins have gone out of their way to try and convince me that my child doesn't have special educational needs. For many years they suceeded in convinsing me that this was the most useful perspective to maintain even in the face of mounting behavior problems at school.
Posted By: JenSMP Re: School Frustration! - 09/21/09 02:28 PM
I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. As you can see, you're definitely not alone. I am feeling very similar frustrations (however, my ds is not quite THAT advanced!), and I know how difficult it is to put so much energy into advocating and fighting for your child, only to be accused of making poor decisions for her future. We just pulled ds out of his private school to homeschool. We're still working out the kinks (today is day 1), and while it's not perfect, everytime we go down another avenue we're always led back to hs. It's sad that it becomes the only option for our kids. They deserve more.

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum