Originally Posted by Dottie
Can we back up for the latecomer? You mention a GATE coordinator. Was he tested for GT? What is the process there? When does the GATE coordinator typically become involved? Before making grade skipping decisions, I'd personally want to see IQ information on the table.

I agree Dottie smile I would prefer them to do some actual testing of his IQ but I am getting the distinct impression that it isn't an option to be done before the meeting. We would get independant testing ourselves but can't because of financial reason's at the moment.

The GATE coordinator talked with ds's long term sub earlier this year about how to teach him and what strategies to use here is a link to the detailed post. http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....News_and_update_about_our.html#Post31538. As far as I know she hasn't done any testing even though the principal and I glossed over it at that meeting. I might be pleasantly suprised though but when I asked about what tests were given no IQ type tests were mentioned. Ds say's he hasn't taken any tests with anybody but his teacher.

He hasn't been offered the GATE pull out program cause they don't test for GATE until recommended in 2nd grade, the grade he will be skipping. I was going to ask that he be tested for the program but wasn't sure a grade skip was or is in the cards. In essence I was waiting for this meeting to discuss it. I am flying by the seat of my pants. The principal has given at least two grade skips to students in the past three years. She is the one that instigated it. When I asked the procedure for a grade skip she has said that they give him the end of the year test that he would skip (2nd grade) then have a meeting to discuss the results including her, us parents, his current teacher and maybe the GATE coordinator.

Looking forward to your wisdom and advice Dottie. Thanks again everyone for discussing.