Hi all smile we are still waiting on our first grade ds's test results and meeting for possible grade skip and/or differentiation.

Last night I realized we have 3 more weeks of school left eek I had not received any further mention on the test DS was to be given or subsquent meeting. I decided emails and phone calls weren't working so I woke-up early in the morning to go in and chat with the teacher. While walking my son to class I ran into the principal, who was on her way to a faculty meeting. She told me I was on her to-do list. Since she was in a hurry and I obviously wasn't going to be able to check in with the teacher I asked if DS was tested, using what and who would be at the meeting?

Answers:
DS was tested.
DS was given end of the 2nd grade year exam she didn't name the test any idea what test that could be? and STAR math/reading.
At meeting will be her, teacher, me, dh and hopefully the GATE coordinator.

I didn't come right out and ask the results but she did say we would like to bring in the GATE coordinator to determine if he is a high acheiver or gifted. Now I must have looked incredulous at the statement, not that I am convinced that he is gifted but because those tests can't possibly determine between the two. Can they?

I ended up saying I would welcome a chance to speak with the GATE coordinator and get her professional opinion. I also hoped that there would be options available for ds once we determine that he is a high acheiver or gifted, especially if they don't recommend a grade skip. *side note* dh and I have not asked for the grade skip and have been hesitant. It was put on the table as a possible answer 6 months ago.* It was her turn to be taken by suprise, she ended up saying that they would provide something even if a grade skip would take place. But that public schools aren't well equipped to educate high acheivers. Teacher's are taught how to reach under acheivers when getting their degree and once they are in the classroom they are given various resources to help those under acheivers. High acheivers just aren't given the differentiation they need. frown I wanted to say No doubt, that is why I am still trying to get the accomodation's that ds needs *insert sarcastic duh smiley face here* but I only smiled and thanked her for her time.

We aren't moving any time soon. The town we live in is very small in a rural area with only title one schools. I have no choice but to continure to be a thorn in the district's side to get the accomodations ds needs. To further complicate the matters, I also have a degree in Elementary Education and hope to sub there next year while our youngest son goes to part-time preschool. If all goes well I hope to apply for a position the following year.

So any thoughts? Care to speculate on what will happen or what she means by some of her comments.