Originally Posted by xoxosmom
I didn't come right out and ask the results but she did say we would like to bring in the GATE coordinator to determine if he is a high acheiver or gifted. Now I must have looked incredulous at the statement, not that I am convinced that he is gifted but because those tests can't possibly determine between the two. Can they?

Hugs xoxo!

This demonstrates my idea that it's hard talking to schools because they use the same words we do, for the most part, and mean totally different things. Remember that 'Gifted' has no agreeded on definition. 'High Achiever' neither. So be very careful when you talk to ask lots of questions and take lots of notes, and ask for specific examples of what they mean by that. This is the great appeal of full grade skips:After the decision has been made, no one has to do anything new! Also, for HG and PG kids, it's the first step in getting 'credentialed' as having real educational needs that are way above the norm.

The fact that there IS a Gifted Coordinator is a good thing. We didn't have that, coming from a 'all our children are gifted'area. Try to remember that 'when you've seen one gifted child, you've seen one gifted child' and keep the conversation on what your particular child needs. The more humble districts are often more willing to listen to parents, as they have less ego to defend, but of course, not always.

Figure out with you DH in advance what you think would help your child. Partial homeschooling? Grade skip? Grade skip PLUS subject acceleration? Paricipation in the GATE pull out with older Gifted kids? Write it down in advance. After the meeting, send an email around to everyone saying what you heard them agree to. Sadly, I've walked out of happy meetings, sent the email, and gotten the response: 'Oh no, we can't actually do all that, we were just brain storming about what might help.'

Grade skips definitly have their downsides, but that don't wear me out as much as trying to 'modify' the existing system, KWIM?

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com