I sure can sympathize with your position. We are in the exact same spot with our DD7 this year who is in 1st, but who spend 1/2 day in 2nd. We requested the grade skip for her next year to be placed into 3rd. They have never done one at the school with that faculty, there are no guidelines in place with the district, it is just up to the principal. We do have IQ testing done for her which has been shared with them so she was able to start the 1/2 day in 2nd this year.

Our school just gave her the end of year testing for 2nd grade. What this means at our school is that it is some test developed by the district to show that the children have learned all that is required of them for that grade level by the state and the district. It does not have a "formal name" as it is just used locally. I don't know much about the STAR testing. Our school also uses the SAT10 testing for all 1st and 2nd graders and she was given that as well for 1st grade. Perhaps your school was meaning they could use these tests as some sort of screening to see if addditional testing would need to be done to qualify for the gifted program. I would think that all actual gifted testing would need to be individual based versus group type testing.

As a sidenote, the speculation has been driving me crazy, as our school year is ending soon and I want answers before it is over. If there is anyway you can wait until the meeting to get your answers, it may save you some ulcers.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.