Originally Posted by Nautigal
Oh yes, practically every day when DS6 comes home from school, I ask "how was school?" and he says "terrible"! And even though I may have been at the school that day and seen him having fun with something, it's still "terrible". He's always been a drama queen. smile

He has a really hard time fitting in with the kids in the neighborhood and at school--there are kids who seek him out to play with him, but what he remembers are the ones who tease him or say something he takes as being mean even if it wasn't intended that way. And he blows things out of proportion in his mind--he says "EVERYone in my class called me a loser!" "EVERYone in my class said I was stupid!" We're working on the hyperbole and exaggeration factors and discuss whether, in fact, every single member of his class could manage to call him a loser or stupid without the teacher noticing and putting a stop to it. Poor kid, once it's in his head, it's just that way.

Wow, he sounds so much like my DS4 (almost 5). Everything is an exageration. Lately when he gets mad about things he will say things like "I am just so frustrated that I am not going to talk to you for 68 years" and sometimes it's months or hours or whatever...always random numbers. And occasionally he things people are being mean and they aren't. He loves to use the words "always" "never" "love" "hate" It's quite true that they are trying to express strong feelings, and I often use my counseling approaches with him by saying things like "so how does that make you feel?" and then talk to him about it. But I am the first to admit we are quite sarcastic in our house and often I will say "really? We always have this for dinner? I had no idea" And then he will say "it's just an expression mom, we don't really 'always' have it." Sometimes he is just being dramatic and we don't need a discussion, but sometimes there is more to it and he is really upset. The other day he told me "I don't really like reading" which is totally not true. What he really meant is that he didn't want to read a book right then. Sometimes he just needs help figuring out how to say what he means to say.