Originally Posted by Nautigal
He has a really hard time fitting in with the kids in the neighborhood and at school--there are kids who seek him out to play with him, but what he remembers are the ones who tease him or say something he takes as being mean even if it wasn't intended that way. And he blows things out of proportion in his mind--he says "EVERYone in my class called me a loser!" "EVERYone in my class said I was stupid!" We're working on the hyperbole and exaggeration factors and discuss whether, in fact, every single member of his class could manage to call him a loser or stupid without the teacher noticing and putting a stop to it. Poor kid, once it's in his head, it's just that way.

Our DS is similar, though as he's gotten older, he's learned to think these situations through. One thing that DH helped me to understand (it's great to be married to one's opposite - one can learn a lot!!) is that oftentimes the size of the exaggeration is in direct proportion to the intensity of the feeling that the person is trying to express.

Perhaps your DS would benefit by having his feelings acknowledged first before going to the logical, "not EVERYone in your class said you're a loser."

Just a thought,

smile
Mom of The Future