I understand your concerns and I think they are valid.

At the risk of sounding cynical, I have come to realize that many other parents do not work to instill the same values into their kids as we do. I am not referring to religious beliefs or political opinions. I am referring to the general attributes of a strong character including honesty, responsibly, concern for others, and standing up for what is right, even when it is uncomfortable to do so (integrity).

DS11 often stands alone.

We are acquainted with parents who make no apologies for the fact that they are teaching their sons (and daughters) to be aggressive, to posture themselves physically or verbally in a group so as to achieve dominance. DS is just assertive enough to threaten kids like that. They are smart, but ds is highly gifted. They are strong athletes, but ds is almost as good or comparable. They are mean to ds, but he tries to brush it off or asks for an explanation for their actions. If they happen to redirect their inappropriate aggression towards someone else, he will feel compelled to intervene.

So I�ve made him out to be a martyr. He�s not a saint, but I do wonder if his strong character (I can write that with a straight face) will impede his success in life given that so many people value power, position, influence, wealth (or in some cases, the appearance of wealth) over high moral reasoning.