Originally Posted by eema
DS11 without Wii and Nintendo DS = unpopular

DS11 with Wii and Nintendo DS = popular.

Yes, I know that it is shallow, but my kid had trouble getting other kids to come over, and he could not participate in many discussions at school.

Isn't that a shame? That's how Pokemon started for DS - I hated the darn little creatures. It just doesn't make any sense to me, but EVERYONE else had it, knew about it, played it, and so on. Finally, I relented and let DS start playing.

We handle the video games a little differently. DS is an only and when there are no kids around to play with, he plays the games quite a bit. He reads and other stuff, but he enjoys the video games. DH and I make it a point to watch him play or ask questions or listen to what he's telling us about whatever game he's playing and a lot of times we even play with him.....well, DH plays, I just push the buttons and pretend blush. I personally don't get the whole video game thing, but DH does and there is a thinking aspect to alot of what they play, so I guess they're not all bad.

Our rule has always been that if the game(s) become so important that he'd pass up playing with friends and interacting with humans, then it's become a problem. He and his friends do play the games together sometimes, but if the weather's nice, they'd rather be outside which is what I love to see. I tend to agree with the other poster who said that (paraphrasing) stopping a video game in the middle is likened to not being able to put down a really good book or only watching half of a great movie. I'm pretty sure this is how DS views it and we try to be considerate of that, without letting him rot the day away.