Ds8 is now in possession of the "DSi", the newest coolest darn thing I've seen in a long time. He got it in the mail the other day. He is totally stoked about the pokemon game we got him, although he's been late in warming to pokemon card game preferring yu-gi-oh (but there's very few folks around to play that one with so he's finally coming around to the card game after all).
I am letting him go a little hog-wild these first few days (last days of spring break) to kind of get it out of his system. First day he just really wonked out with it. He would hardly give it to me for the 5 minutes needed to get it connected to the web. I did announce that there would be much less screen time once school is back in session, and in general.

A couple days before we got it, I asked if he was really excited about it. He said, "Yeah, now I can fit in a little bit!". I had not spoken with him about that at all - nor did Dh. I asked if he'd talked to daddy about it, and he said, "No, mom everyone just has one!!". (I have added a 'DUH!' for myself to the beginning of that sentence.)

Funnest things so far, don't know if these are all available on all models:
Recording obnoxious sounds and replaying. Recording your sister's obnoxious/cute sounds and replaying.
Brain Age Express - Math (we got a couple free downloads w/purchase). The reason he/we picked that one was not the hoped for 'ooh math!' but because it has a drawing and dramatic expression training also built in. Those are really fun, the math is too, but so far not a focus for him.
- Taking pictures of oneself/everything and messing with them in the photo editing area (aka using diff. 'lenses'). You get all kinds of freaky/silly results.
- being able to hop online wherever there's an available access point.

All in all an incredible piece of gadgetry, and one pretty satisfied kid.

(We'll see soon enough if we've created a monster. )