My 8 year LOVES computer games and video games. We have a wii. We use a timer - he is typically allowed 20 minutes of recreational computer time per day with some exceptions. He earns additional time very occasionally (no more than once a week usually). We only allow the Nintendo DS in the car if we are taking a road trip (greater than 2-3 hours). And even in the car, we limit his time (we just got back from a cross country road trip to DC, he got about 1/2 to 1 hour in the car when we were spending 8 to 10 hours on the road.) I like the wii better because he often uses his computer time to play with other kids or with me (I admit, I think the wii is fun!) DS rarely gets into the car without a book to read.

My son still talks about his games and strategies and draws pictures of levels, etc. But it seems fairly well contained and he can focus on other things. DS8 is also limited on other media. I only let him access the computer a limited amount even for educational purposes at this point.