Hi,
This sounds very similar to our experience. My DS7 has been called a science geek and has been picked on for being different (advanced) by kids at school. The guidance couselor blames it on my son. He should try to be more like the other kids. The GC was concerned bc he plays alone by choice at recess. He does not like the rough games the other boys play. Out of sheer frustration with the GC I told my son to just play with someone during recess. So that day my son gets off the bus and states he played "kill the cops" with another boy. He felt awful and I freaked out! I will never ever ask my son to just conform again.
After numerous issues and communication and meetings with our public school we decided to enroll our son in a Friends school next year. We can't afford it but we have to make the sacrifice. I'm going to work a second job if I must. My son's self-esteem has been damaged by the ps and I refuse to accept the mentality that he should just accept being bored. And I hate the herd mentality. The Friends School approach celebrates individuality. I'm very hopeful that my son will fit in there. If he doesn't then we'll try homeschooling.
Outside of school my son has many friends and he gets along well with them all. I am very selective - meaning I won't let him play with just anyone. I don't want him playing with mean, disrespectful children. That said he has only one same age friend that is gifted. What a joy when the boys can get together. My son is not frustrated bc this friend understands everything he says. This friend actually responds when my son starts talking about science. My son's other friends (all super kids) just stare at him with a blank look. I try to keep my son focused on play when he's with his other friends and for the most part he's fine with that. He does miss his gifted friend though. This friend does not live nearby so we only see him once a month. I have to say when these two boys are together it's like watching the Science channel. :-) My son doesn't seem so "weird" when he's with his gifted friend.