Originally Posted by mizzoumommy
We only just found out about what the other kids said re: her reading, etc. very recently, and we pulled her out of preschool after the parent-teacher conference where the teacher tried to convince us that she'd "just have to learn to be bored".
Sorry, I see I misread. To validate what you said: no, I do not think it's normal that the preschool wasn't talking to you about it and dealing with it themselves, and I'm gobsmacked at "she'll just have to learn to be bored" re a preschooler! Sounds as though she's well out of there.

I wonder, is there something she would enjoy that would have her be around other kids and have her difference not be an issue? Not need to be hidden, just not come up? Swimming lessons? Playground meet-ups? I know, our kids tend to stand out at least to adult ears because of the way they talk, but at least if the environment were not facilitating intellectual comparison or evaluation, that might be a relatively easy way to get her experiences of being accepted for who she is? One thing I've been noticing the last couple of weeks is how much my DS5 has enjoyed his holiday "multi-sports week". Admittedly he's been reading a book instead of watching cartoons ("they're too scary") and setting the staff chemistry challenges, but by and large it's been a good normality experience for him, I think! It helped that it was very mixed-age, too, so no two of the kids there are all that similar.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail