Originally Posted by chris1234
It does suck. frown

Sounds like you know she needs to work with you or someone else on what turning 5 will mean. Kids/adults can be cruel. Working on a few responses might help. Could you arrange for more exposure to people who get her/gt kids?...

Unfortunately, we don't know many people who really understand her. We do have friends who see her as a fun kid and have no expectations of what kids are "supposed" to be like - they don't have any kids of their own, yet. But we don't see them very often. It would be nice if we did, because they don't know that playing board games like scrabble with (nearly) 5 year old and having her be able to hold her own without assistance (and help her younger brother) is *odd.

But there aren't many other people or people with kids her age that "get" her. There is one other family where I am pretty sure the mom has an idea re: Boo's abilities, but I am not sure how much. Not that she has to know how advanced Boo is, exactly. I'm just always a bit worried in the back of my mind about accidently crossing some invisible line. Kwim? The mom has a child that both my kids are friends with and the three of them get along wonderfully. Still the boys are thick as theives and Boo has expressed feeling left out a bit, at times. Not that I think she has to be "in" at all times, but she wants someone to memorize lines in a book to adapt into a play, for example, and the "boy stuff" (as she puts it) is fun but not quite what she's pining for. It may just be a gender thing; I don't really know.