Originally Posted by newtothis
His score ended up a 142 (99.7%) ... I guess that does put him in the "pretty gifted" category, right? But, does it seem high enough to support my theory that he is totally bored with early 4YO work at his Montessori school?

The tester seemed to think "yes," and recommended that we take him out if they wouldn't give him more challenging work - she felt like he should be in at least the "Kindergarten" part of the curriculum right now.

Wow NTT!
Wonderful news that your son was able to get high enough scores to get into the schools! That's wonderful.

and yes, you must be New To This to be questioning if scores 99.7 or higher could possibly support your underplacement argument. A child with a particular personality could be in his shoes at the 90%! Or the 99%! but Certianly the 99.7 or higher is going to be feeling like a torture victim at grade level curriculum IF he has that particular "challenge me" personality.

Take a look at a Bell curve, and meditate on the scores in terms of Standard Deviations from the Norm. Ummmmm. Then you will understand why you are getting so little understanding from so many people.

As for the ADHD, why not wait until he gets into the gifted magnet school and see what a teacher who "gets him" can do? It is certainly possible, but his behavior during the testing, while uncooperative doesn't scream ADHD to me. To me it screams - kid who has lost faith and patience, in grownups and their weird grown up things.

Of course some kids who are at or around the 3rd Standard Deviation have ADHD, but I'd love to see you wait until he is well into his new learning environment until you seek out that level of professional advice. Afterall - where are you going to go to find a ADHD doctor who even knows what PG is? For now go ahead and read parenting books about ADHD and see if some of their excellent parenting stratagies work for you, but my advice, and I'm only a Mom, is to get him out of that school, and just enjoy him.

Am I going to say it?
Yes I am.
They grow up so fast!

Smiles,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com