Thanks Trinity. I just figured this out last year after a few years of getting sidetracked by people reacting to the g-word.

Jenafur:

FYI, I agree that the level I school is more likely to accelerate. I grew up in poor rural areas and sometimes was in mixed-grade classes. I finally got formally subject-accelerated in the fall of 7th grade when we moved to a big town (27,000 pop) and I marched into the counselor's office and asked for it. I said I already knew the material that was covered. They said, "OK," instantly, before I presented any arguments in favor of acceleration, and the counselor moved me -- the same day -- up at least one grade in most subjects --- every subject I asked for. I told them where I should be!

I don't think they even asked my mom, since they did it instantly. She was actually opposed to acceleration. My brother was one of those so obviously brilliant little kids that he had multiple teachers in various grades (including his first grade teachers) suggest that he be grade accelerated. My mom always refused to allow him to accelerate. She did not respond at all to my fait accompli. I was able to handle it on my own. It was a small town and I could walk to the high school for the necessary classes and there was a half-hour difference in start times. I much preferred the h.s. students to the jr hi students! I joined HS clubs and felt like I fit in a bit better socially.

Of course, by then I had my standardized test record to support what I was asking for -- and they later gave me an IQ test for entry into their gifted program. It is tougher when you don't yet have a history or a record.

I would say don't expect the school to recognize your child is brilliant. He may not manifest himself at school. I didn't at all (daydreaming and getting in trouble for talking and writing my own illustrated books instead of doing classwork) until the second grade state achievement tests came back. For a lot of kids, that's too long to wait. Also, don't expect them to offer acceleration unless you bring it up. Looking back, I should have accelerated much sooner. I was constantly in trouble in second and third grade -- in my recollection, I think I may have been paddled almost every day of third grade for talking and distracting the other students who hadn't finished their work. By 4th, I had learned to rush through the worksheets and bury my head in a book until the rest of the class was done.

Ask for a meeting with staff at the local elementary school. Explain your concerns to the school, in terms of skills and info already learned, thirst for knowledge, as described above, and ask for the school to give him a placement test. I really don't know which to recommend. Perhaps if you look at the Iowa Acceleration Manual?

Good luck,

bk