Jen,

I see that your son has just turned three and is starting pre-school. The fact that he has a summer b-day, rather than a fall birthday is definitely a bonus!

I would advise you to start calling schools to ask if they evaluate for early entry into K. I seriously doubt that you will find a public school willing to consider more than one year early entrance, but it wouldn�t hurt to start investigating now if your goal is to get him into K next fall. You might luck out and find a public school that has a process for early entrance. More likely, you will be told that if a child needs to be grade advanced, the teachers will make that recommendation. The worst possible answer is that the school offers an already advanced program, so there is no need to accelerate.

I have read on a YS email list that often the school districts with the least resources, a level I or II, are more flexible in regards to grade acceleration. Level III schools (our public district) are the least likely. One reason cited is that there may be fewer other parents at theI or II school who will be clamoring to have their child accelerated also.