I've read about gifted children going"underground" and I"m so worried that when my gifted (just turned) 3 year old starts preschool in a few days that he will do that! It's my worst fear for him that he won't try in school because he will already know all that is being taught. I've never had contact with other parents who have gifted children so this is exciting to be able to communicate this way. I posted about a year ago, but never got to read a response because i lost this site and couldn't find it again!
Anyhow, I've been kind of in denial of his gifted-ness. But tonight before my son Andrew went to bed, I was writing 3 and 4 letter words on a chalk board and he was reading them! I've worked with him little with reading. I'm so afraid of him being too advanced when he starts school, I thought maybe if I don't teach him things he'll be able to learn from his teachers. Anyway, i see now that he is going to be advanced no matter what i do. And not having my support is the worst thing i can do. I have to help and support him!
What can I do for him to, help him do well in school, not just sit back because it's easy. What do i need to do to get his teachers support.