Hello everyone,

I had a conference with my ds7's teacher, principal, and GT coordinator yesterday and now I am really concerned.

When I first told my son's teacher about his test scores, she suggested radical acceleration. Well, now that the principal is involved, it seems that NOTHING is going to happen instead.

No less than three times during the meeting, the principal said that we need to slow my son down. She also said (after the GT teacher said she would be willing to give ds her 5th grade packet on greek mythology per his request) that GT teacher "shouldn't teach him everything now or there won't be anything left." The principal's plan, which the teacher just went with, is to keep ds in the highest 2nd grade math and reading group just like he is now because he "has a lot to offer the group."

Is it just me or does it sound like their plan is to do precisely nothing for my son except frustrate him further? A couple of days ago, ds said he "feels like a giant fish crammed into a very tiny fish bowl" at school. I am afraid it is just going to get worse.

To her credit, the GT teacher did say she would show ds's teacher how to "do some compacting" but the first thing the teacher said to me during the meeting was that if they didn't make her class size smaller she was going to have a heart attack. That doesn't sound great to me.

Any advice on what to do next?

Thanks for reading this very, very long post.

Jeni