Trinity...you hit the nail on the head!! I DO assume k's "weirdness" equates w/ giftedness! When she was four and spent literally HOURS working on an adult jigsaw puzzle, I thought weird, not gifted. And your other point is well taken...thank you for making it....floors, not brackets.

Willa Gayle...thanks for the book recommendation. It's amazing how much help those kind of phrases can be. That reminds of something else I read one time that I use all the time..."In OUR family, we do/do not do...." As in, "Mom, why do I have to go to church/write a thank you note, not use certain language, wear certain clothes, etc." I reply, "Well, in our family, we write thank you notes beacause we value gratitude and consideration of other's feelings." It just succinctly helps the define the values of our particular family and reinforces a sense of being part of a greater group with certain expectations and benefits.
I like that in nips the argument of "so and so doesn't have to do that" in the bud.

We are off to the beach for a quick vacation before school starts! I will be eagerly reading the forum when I return to see what's been going on.