Originally Posted by pinkmonkey
I see Kate's perfectionism holding her back and causing her such unnecessary anxiety. I'm afraid she inherited that from me. I remeber once baking a three layer Italian cream cheese cake for my boyfriend's birthday, deciding it just wasn't going to be good, and throwing it away before he ever tasted it!
She shoots - she scores!
Ok dear, you qualify, which is kind of good, because you get to recover together.

I also like Flylady.com to fight perfectionism, because for me, one of the side effect of perfectionism was that I couldn't bear to throw almost anything away in fear of the self-given tounge lashing I was sure to give myself if I ever turned out to need it. Obviously I am much happier making occasional mistakes and living in a clean, and cleanable, house.

I hate to keep calling the tester and asking her more questions!
Believe me, It is her job to answer your questions, and when she feels that she is being taken advantage of, she will let you know. Sad to say I have personal experience here.
Also, I didn't mean to diss Montessori. You know, it occured to me that Montessori may be a big part of the reason she scored in the 99th percentile on the Academic Knowledge subtest. I think this sort of thing is probably more emphasized than spelling/reading drills. And perhaps that is the way it should be. It is so HARD to know what your child is getting short of following them around all day.
That's a good point about Montessori's strengths. I also like that she is allowed to draw and develop her creativity. It is hard to know what is happening, but I have noticed that a few hours of quiet observation, in the child's classroom, or if possible in the classroom that the child will be entering next, goes a long way.

I feel Kate, with her WISC scores, will be fine in this private school with a rigorous cirriculum.
then you have a plan, and it seems reasonable to expect that there is a good chance it will work. Hopefully this will buy you some time to work on the perfectionism thing.

best wishes,
Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com