Oh - and one more thing about homeschooling. I was one of those people who thought that homeschoolers were all just people on the way outside fringes of mainstream. Then I started learning about homeschooling related to HG kids, and I saw the light. What really clinched it for DH and me was meeting with the HG gifted psychologist, who basically told us that we would be homeschooling for at least part of DS's education, because there would be times when the educational system wouldn't work for how he learns. She also said that lots of HG kids can weave their way back into the system by high school, where there are AP and other advanced class choices. She also mentioned thinking about a sabbatical abroad for one or more of the middle school years, for additional learning opportunities. (DH really took to this idea!)

We are going to try the whole school thing first, starting next year, but it's just a relief to know that we can homeschool if we need to. And another positive, since we're in MN, we can do partial homeschooling if we want. Then DS could go to school with agemates for fun stuff and anything that works for him academically, but learn at home or with a tutor for advanced work.

I could not find the thread where someone was trying to convince DH to homeschool. sorry.