Originally Posted by elh0706
In an email I just received (after my first post) She said that all of her gifted students were struggling with these assignments but the rest of the class was doing great. She included a line saying that the gifted students needed to learn they weren't so smart anyway.

My jaw dropped on this one. I was trying to think of a possible misinterpretation of this (emails are a bit unreliable for getting at someone's true meaning). But I'm having a hard time when it's put in the context of "gee, only my gifted students are having trouble with this - the rest of the class is doing just fine." It does sound like she has some ulterior motive. Perhaps you can set up a meeting with her and the gifted coordinator and ask the teacher exactly what she meant by that?

I would just do what others have recommended on this board - listen at the short conference, then at the end say you will be contacting her for a longer meeting, possibly including the gifted coordinator and/or the special services group that set up the IEP.