Is it really a conference when the P/T conference time slot is less than 10 minutes? Our conferences are coming up next month and I�m trying to figure out how to cover my concerns about the writing issues within that time allotment.

I have already figured out that this teacher does not really understand gifted. A chance sidewalk conversation told me that. She couldn�t understand why DS (9) has so much trouble with the easy assignments like copying definitions from the textbook to his notebook, can�t write neatly and coherently (he has a diagnosis of dysgraphia written into his IEP) but leads all verbal discussion and finds unique solutions during verbal problem solving activities.

Her homework for writing assignments should only take 10 minutes according to her. DS spends 2-3 hours on them and still gets mostly c�s and lower since his answers aren�t exactly the ones she is expecting. DS is getting to the point he doesn�t want to try anymore since nothing he does is good enough. He even asked me if he could be put in a lower reading group since he isn�t smart enough for this one. (He is advanced a year in reading and completed the previous level with almost perfect scores.) I have asked his teacher to provide feedback as to what she considers the correct answers but I am not getting anywhere. All DS and I see are the grades with no suggestions.

I also asked for him to be evaluated for reading to see what the proper placement is. According to DS they did pull him out, but I do not have any feedback yet. If this just impacted Reading it would be bad enough. However, this is impacting social studies and science as well. Her assignments tend to be vague and very open ended in all of these subjects and DS is struggling to figure out what she wants more than he is to figure out the material. I hate to say it, but I�m starting to feel like she is persecuting him for not thinking inside the box. Although when I read the selections and then look at the questions, I can�t figure out a �correct� answer either.

He goes to another classroom for Math and seems content with it even though it still isn�t a challenge. From all I hear, he is also doing really well in the pull-out program. He likes his teacher for Reading, Science and Social Studies. He is very upset that he can�t seem to do what she wants him to do. I know he is still struggling with the mind is going 65 mph and his hands can only write at 25 mph problem. The school will not allow him to keyboard for a variety of reasons. The funniest being that then they can�t tell if it is his work. The saddest is that although his GRE for reading is 12+, he is only 22% delayed in fine motor skills to his age level and services are only allowed for 25% and up.

He loves going to school and has a wonderful social network there. Half of his soccer team and his best friend are in his class. His classroom behavior seems to be alright, not stellar but not a problem. I know I need to bring the writing issues up but I just don�t know how to do it without sounding like I�m whining!

Thanks for reading and for your suggestions!