Just to chime in, for vision issues you'd want to see a behavioral optometrist (see www.covd.org ) and as discussed you'd want to see an audiologist if you want evaluation for CAPD. A neuropsych would merely refer you to these same people. Indeed, that's kinda how we ended up getting the vision eval for DD7 - we did IQ testing through the Gifted Development Center, and how dd answered the block design portion of the test was one reason they thought she might have a vision issue and they referred us to an optometrist. Vision therapy is controversial - many opthamologists do not "believe" in it, and most of the practicioners are behavioral optometrists (see that link - you can put in your zip code to find one near you). I think our vision eval was around $100.

CAPD is still quite controversial among audiologists and many will not be able to do the eval for that - I think of it as a sub-specialty among audiologists. For example, my DS5 had his hearing checked by the audiologist with the school district, and from our conversation about CAPD it was apparent that she didn't know much about it. One audiologist's office we contacted about DD7, which has been dealing with CAPD for three decades (google able kids foundation, ft collins CO), believes that CAPD cannot be treated and will email their research to you. They offer an ear filter that is an accommodation. Their testing would be the most comprehensive I have come across. In contrast, the OT people at the Star Center are proponents of listening therapy (Tomatis). DD7 and DS5 both ended up having the listening therapy in conjunction with OT for SPD. It seemed to help DS5 quite a bit, according to both his teacher and speech therapist. But who knows, it's all a roll of the dice in my opinion - some people will be helped and some will not. My kids have not had an official diagnosis of CAPD and have not had the whole battery of testing, just a brief test by an audiologist in conjunction with their OT. The only reason for us to get a CAPD diagnosis would be if we wanted a 504 plan with accommodations for that. Right now they're in a montessori school, so listening in general is not much of an issue since they don't sit and listen as a class all day long. Really DS5 is the one with more of a problem in this area - and it might just be that he's too busy thinking about something to pay attention to my requests smile

And of course other LDs could be diagnosed by a neuropsych. I admit I haven't read all the posts here. I hope this makes sense - my brain is a bit jumbled today (doesn't it seem like I'm always having one of those days?), this morning we found out that DS5 will be having surgery to release a tethered spinal cord (long story). "what's wrong with my body, mommy?" Ugh.

Last edited by snowgirl; 09/15/08 01:47 PM.