With all due respect, having worked for many, many years with neuropsychologists in the field of brain injury and pediatrics, I need to clarify about the qualifications/training of neuropsychologists.

They are NOT medical doctors. There is a field of medical specialty called neuropsychiatry and that is a medical doctor. But neuropsychologists are psychologists who specialize in brain function and behavior and learning.
(I tried to put in a link to a healthline.com article, but it didn't seem to be working. go to www.healthline.com and search for neuropsychologist, nice definition/description)

It is best to seek a neuropsychologist when you are concerned about organic brain dysfunction, effects of head trauma and/or want to know more about how a person's cognitive function is working (ie: learning disability).

Neuropsychologists are not necessarily educated or trained in finding visual or auditory problems. Some might be out of interest or experience, but it is not something that is typically screened or assessed by a neuropsychologist. For visual problems you are best off seeking a developmental optometrist; for auditory processing you are best off seeking an audiologist who specializes in auditory processing.

My 2 cents based on professional experience as an OT.

Last edited by doodlebug; 09/15/08 09:24 AM. Reason: to fix bad link