Has anyone else picked up the Einstein Anderson series of books? DS8 loved those books last year. The books are a collection of short (3-4 page) stories where a boy (maybe 5th or 6th grade) uses science to outsmart his opponent (sometimes a bully) or to solve a mystery. They present you with the clues and then you get to turn the page and see if you guessed how Einstein solved the problem. Very fun!

Other books that DS has read recently:
1) My Side of the Mountain series: about a boy who goes off and lives by himself in the New England mountains and learns survival techniques. Very non-scary, but for the boy who loves being out in the woods.
2) Wrinkle in Time series: We are in the middle of book 3, although Harry Potter and Guardians of Ga'hoole have sidetracked us a bit.
3) Flight of the Dragon Kyn, and Dragon Milk by Susan Fletcher. Anything with Dragons has to be cool!
4) The Mistmantle Chronicles, Book 1 is Urchin of the Riding Star
5) Poppy and Rye and similar books by Avi. Animals (mice, porcupines, etc. must form friendships in order to overcome an obstacle-an owl who hunts them)

I will probably let him start reading the Brian Jacques books soon (Redwall, etc.) Does anyone have any experience with these?

I would like to offer my profound thanks to the person who suggested the Mad Misadventures of Emmaline and Rubberbones books by Howard Whitehouse. DS just read The Strictest School in the World, Being a Tale of a Clever Girl, a Rubber Boy and a Collection of Flying Machines, Mostly Broken. He absolutely loved it!! grin

Mom to DS12 and DD3