He got where he is without science in school so far. All the 7th grade class will do, it seems, is put an emphasis on skills that he doesn't have yet - writing - with no growth of the skills that he does have - high school/university level knowledge.

DS has probably learned science along the same pathway that he has learned math so far. He feeds off of exciting, abstract concepts, and the more abstract the idea, the more he craves it. And so he knows a great deal about physics, biology, chemistry, geology... but all from a very abstract perspective. It is similar to wanting to know algebra, but not wanting to sit and work out the nitty-gritty deals. He could probably use to go through some of these basic science classes, if only so that they would teach him to focus on some of the basic concepts, i.e. the boring stuff that he just skips over. He is a child who sees the big picture right away and wants to jump to step 10 of an idea, without ever covering the first nine steps. I think that an early Jr. High class would be about right for teaching him to focus on details that he would naturally choose to rush over.

I guess we will soon see. It is a giant leap of faith at this point.

Mom to DS12 and DD3