Originally Posted by Kriston
I hadn't even considered that problem. Good point!

I was mostly thinking about the many potential safety and social issues that a child might have problems with on campus. Narrowing career options is another concern to add to the list...It's certainly an option that would require some serious risk vs. reward thinking.

Like you, though, acs, I'm glad it's an option. More options are better than fewer!

Our eldest will probably be done with high school-level work before he'll be mature enough to go off to college. We envision encouraging him to explore many different fields of study by taking courses at a local community college. We'll also encourage internships, part-time jobs, etc. etc. (But not all at once!) Actually, we'll do this with all our kids....

I see this between-time as a type of gift (for lack of a better word) that will let them explore themselves and the world without the pressure of having to make big decisions before the optimal time comes. Obviously, if someone is totally devoted to some field, we wouldn't stand in the way.

Val